Friday, August 4, 2017

Finding my Niche

This all begins with a long story................................

Two years ago I lost my job as the result of a downsizing. I wasn't sure what the next steps would be for me career wise as I was not too far from retirement. I ended up taking a beginning painting class through the local community education. For all my life, I have been the non artistic twin. My mom, who painted beautiful oil paintings, passed the art gene to my twin. I got math and science from my dad. All my life I struggled whenever anything involved paint or drawing. But, I had seen something called mixed media and thought maybe with this art class class, that is something I could do.

The class was actually not all that helpful but I did start creating mixed media canvases. I was encouraged to join the local art group and attended my first show/sale. To my surprise I sold some! I have continued making and selling for the past year. But, I am still struggling with being a "real" artist. I keep experimenting and playing with mediums to find something that I feel is me.

So I saw this online and decided to try. It is string art which apparently is actually a very old technique. But, new to me. I played, experimented, and wasted a lot of paper. I had this canvas which I had covered with paint (another failed experiment) and took the string to it.

So what do you think? I kind of like this technique. And it is something different from my mixed media. The fun part is every time I do it, the design changes. I will be bringing some of these canvases and paintings to the next show/sale.


Thank you for letting me share and for visiting! I appreciate your kind words more than you know. 
 

17 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. I don't understand the string part so I will have to google it. It looks a little like what I did in Projective Geometry in college but without the beautiful colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! I'm totally intrigued by how a string is involved. Off to google!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy COW, this is a brilliant idea! THINK of the possibilities, being able to do an abstract flower then giving it dimension with string. Are you using nails to hold the string like the old fashioned method? I couldn't tell from the photo. I think you may have come up with a brilliant and unique idea. GO WITH IT, RUN FAST and grab your brilliance with both hands. I think you could have something really, really , REALLY special here. So many people try to come up with a good way to dimensionalize watercolor, this could work so well, can't wait to see what you do next. I'll be adding you to my bloglovin' feed so I can watch your progress. good luck!!
    Oh and thank you for your compliment on my work at JustAddWaterSilly. I appreciate your visit.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you can say the artistic gene skipped you looking at this... it is beautifully evocative and atmospheric...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely...like a lily...hope you sell some...just gorgeous...x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes string art is an old technique, however, you have conquered it. This is stunning. I love how you used the black. Well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so creative with a fantastic technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I agree with Jennifer...this is a stunning piece and gorgeous unique style! I think we all get into a trap thinking only conventional art makes you an artist!! I struggled doing everything creative my whole life, it wasn't until a friend, artist, author told me I was an artist from my home decor that I even put pen to paper!! Thank goodness you found this lifetime gift that will continue to give, grow and evolve. You ARE an amazing artist!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of that technique but seen some. And I like it. I think you are on the right path. It suits you I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really do think it's about time you create a new label for yourself, the non-artistic twin does not work anymore. Let's find a new one! You deserve to ya know? How about, the rocking art twin? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing result! Love the boldness and fragile look at the same time! Curious how you make it ;) ♥ Conny http://piaromsartjournaling.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  12. With a beautiful technique you painted the picture!
    Happy weekend
    Elke

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, i like your style !
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I understand the struggle to call yourself a (real) artist. I started painting about 6 years ago and never took an art class before that. We have parallel stories but I am not gifted at math :) I, too, joined a local art center and showed my beginning paintings at a student art show. To my surprise, they sold! I paint daily. The more I paint, the more I love it. So I started to realize that I am an artist. Your string art is amazing. I really love it.
    ~~ Irene

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love it..great art great tecn.

    ReplyDelete

I am Back but will be Leaving:):)